Friday, July 5, 2013

maybe I actually am learning spanish after all!

We were in a trio this week but guess what? Only this one week! My "sister" (missionary term since we are both getting trained by the same "mother") is already headed off to Peru tomorrow! That went by crazy fast but it's for the better because poor girl is petrified of crowds. As soon as we get somewhere crowded it shocks her system and she turns into a scared statue so yes, petrified is the perfect word. Harry Potter for ya. I had only heard horror stories of teaching in trios though but to be honest, I loved it! She is quiet but a sweetheart and was very easy to get along with. I loved it too because though I still don't know jack, I got to show her the ropes on a lot of different things so it made me feel like I actually knew what I was doing for once. And the fact that I translated for her in some of our lessons? Yeah, that made me feel really good. Maybe I actually am learning Spanish after all!

Highlights for this week:

-Blueberries are on super sale everywhere so that's been a nice a treat to have around. I love me some fruit and the prices are actually in my budget!

-We went and ate dinner at a less actives house and her daughters were just so cute! One of them especially really liked me and of course I really liked her. One of the first things she said to me was "I like your nose". hahaha! She was too dang cute. Then I pretended to eat her toy and she just thought I was the funniest person alive. Last but not least, she told me she had a pet turtle named Michael. I told her "wow, that's the name of one of my good friends!" and her eyes just lit up. She demanded that I hold him and so I did and let me tell ya, that was the fastest turtle I have ever seen! So now I can say I have held a turtle!

-During another visit this week with a less active member, I got to teach the basic of all basics. Margaret lives with a Chinese family that speaks very little English. Right after visiting with Margaret, but before the lesson, the two daughters got home from school and decided to come meet Margaret's friends. Well, they were there for prayer and then started asking questions about "Kris" (Christ). They have heard a few things from Margaret but that's it so we told them about heaven and how all good things come from God. Apparently they saw a movie about the crucifiction of Christ so we started talking about that too. The 4-year old spoke hardly any English and the 8-year old's was super broken so it was quite interesting. But, the girls loved learning that God was the one who gave them to their mommy and he is the one who gives them their food every night so it looks like we will be going back to teach them some more! After the parents warm up, we'll send over the Elders who speak Chinese that way they can have "real" lessons in which they will understand since it'll be in their own language.

-Gladys! Her husband’s name is Cesar (the same as his son) and he has agreed to marriage as soon as he gets over his addiction and is active in church again. He wants to be able to support his wife if she is going to be baptized. I think it's a great step in their relationship and we have the Elders working with him while we teach Gladys so keep praying for them! They have a long way to go but they are so on the right track.

-The Caballeros, well, we haven't been able to meet with them this week as they are sorting out their priorities. Hopefully we can meet with them this coming week though! I miss them. Isaac, the 8 -year-old, has been reminding them all to pray and read their scriptures everyday though so at least they are keeping commitments! Just not apts... :/

-Because NY is getting more and more expensive, the mission is now going to give us an extra $20 every month. Yes, the prices are insane here. Every fast food place, instead of having the normal $1 menu, it is a $2 menu. how funny, right?

-Knee Update: Yes, I tore my lateral meniscus and my ACL as well (yay, on the bright side there may be a possibility that my ACL actually isn't torn) but none-the-less I'm going to need surgery. The soonest they can fit me in is September 17th so along with Ciara, I'm hoping September comes here fast! I just want to get it done and over with already. Luckily I really like my doctor and the surgery should only take a 1/2 hour, no biggie but the thing is, recovery is usually 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping my recovery will be more like 3-4 days but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm glad it only took 3 months to figure this out though :P

Thanks for being oh so awesome! I'm glad I get to hear from you every week, it's wonderful!

Love you lots!!

-Hermana Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment