Tuesday, July 23, 2013

from your NY girl

Life is great! Nelly (a woman who was less active for a long time and is just starting to get back into the habit of it all at church) just had her baby boy this week! He is so dang precious! It was heartbreaking not to hold him but I learned my lesson last time I held a little one. I'd be okay if I didn't break any more chairs.

We also got to participate in a fiesta on Saturday! After soccer, Hermano Valdetano (the one who just recently got back from serving in D.C. and the one who always gives us ice cream) took us all out to Five Guys, and then after getting ready, we went to the church to help out with wedding prep! We went with the idea that wedding prep meant helping with food and welcoming people but to my pleasant surprise, I actually got to be on camera duty! :D This was a wedding for two members of the ward who I just adore. When Hermana Cano, the bride, walked in, we just wanted to take picture after picture. Her son, who's my age, ending up breaking out his super nice canon camera and said "if you can figure it out you can use it." So that's exactly what I did! The picture quality was wonderful and I loved snapping shot after shot. Of course, once we moved on from bride shots, wedding cakes shots, flowers, and rings, well, I was lost. Groups of people are not my forte. I turned the camera over to Elder Martinez and he was an expert! Dude he's so good with photography. We are now hoping for another wedding soon so we can team up and have picture time again. haha.

But wait, wait, wait, though the wedding was awesome wanna hear about another highlight for the week? Not to put anything else down but probably my favorite part of the week was that I got to drive!!!!! We were at the church when all of a sudden we had an emergency and needed to go home. Because the Zone Leaders were there and they have a car, they let us borrow it so we could actually get home quickly instead of rely on public transportation. Since my comp doesn't have a license that automatically put me on driving duty and I was alright with that! So now I can officially say I've driven in crazy NY traffic. Boo-ya. It felt so nice to actually be behind the wheel again!!! Freedom!!! It was funny though. Hermana Sanchez and I are so used to being on buses, whenever I would drive past a bus stop, it just felt wrong! We were supposed to stop there, not just drive past it.

The work here, well, it's a little slow moving right now. Not that that's anything new. We are starting to pick up the pace, as we are seeing more and more people interested during the different finding activities we are involved with, but nothing is hands down official yet. Gladys has been hard to meet with since her brother and sons just moved in with her family and she has yet to find a new apartment for all of them. We're trying to help her in her search but it's hard! There are a lot of sketchy people just advertising false places in hopes of making some $$ and then the real ones get taken pretty darn fast. Oh well, we'll keep trying, that's all there is to it. We are meeting with a new family tonight to have FHE with them. They have kiddos and yeah, I'm excited. A real FHE!

I hope y'all have a fun Monday night as well and enjoy all that wonderful family time :)

Love you lots!

-- Hermana Watts, your NY girl
(never thought I'd say that. wow. the mish really does change things up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment