Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cinco de Mayo!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!!

No, we didn't really do much celebrating because all the members that really liked to celebrate skipped church, and celebrated without us. haha. There was a huge parade in Flushing so that's where all those who wanted to really party went. Instead we broke our fast with a Dominican family, The Tollentinos, who I must say are awesome!! I decided Dominican food is some of the best you can get and yes, Dominicans talk wayyy fast so I was pretty much lost the whole time. They all speak English too but they love to mess with us missionaries and use their "Dominican" on us. lol

Well, Satan really does try his hardest right before someone gets baptized because Luis and Rosa are packed with things to do! Someone in Luis' family passed away and so this week they have the services for that and also they are having some of his family come stay and visit so they will be busy hosting. Luis had back issues and it has just been getting worse and worse. It's hard for him to go through 3 hours of church, it really takes a tool on him, poor guy. Rosa has a part time job, and with all the other life adventures, they are having a hard time finding the time to get rings, a dress, and get married in city hall. We have encouraged them several times to not fuss over those things but woman are woman no matter the age - she wants it to be like a real wedding. So please just keep praying for them. I don't want them to stall their baptism, and nor do they, so hopefully we can work something out.

Today we are throwing a surprise party for our District Leader, Elder Jensen. He goes home next week and it's his birthday today so we're really celebrating! He's been awesome and I'm going to miss him! I love the mission but it's hard saying goodbye to people all the time. You grow close to them so quickly and then bam! They are gone. Craziness. Anyway, I better start getting used to it! Except I don't think I ever will. Like with Sister Lewis? yeah, we still send each other weekly emails. They are short since we use most of our time talking to our families, but still, it's something!

Oh! I feel like an official missionary now! Wanna hear a story? Well I'm going to tell it anyway. This week, on Thursday, we went over to the Relief Society President's house because we were going to go visit less actives with her. We get there and she has food so we start eating. I had a cold and wasn't feeling too well so I only had like 3 taquitos which is normal but she was all "come, come!" So I had to eat even more. And even more. And then she cuts open fruit because that will give me "energia" so I start eating the fruit. Finally we are done and we talk about who we are going to go visit and then head out. I'm quiet and I'm walking slow because I'm really not feeling well. About 3 hours later we are in the home of someone who said we could come visit and I REALLY don't feel well. I ask if I can use her bano and she says yes. As soon as I get in there, not even 2 seconds later, my food comes up. Luckily the toilet was right there!! I finish with that, clean myself up, go back out, pop a mint in my mouth, help teach a bit of the lesson, and then I REALLY don't feel well again! I excuse myself, repeat what happened the first time, and then I get out just in time to say closing prayer with them. Yeah, lovely, right? Worst part, she brought out juice, oreos, and chocolate covered blueberries but I had to pass them up!! Sad day. Oh and after her house we headed back to the church and I taught English class. I'm better now, luckily, but for 3 days I couldn't eat anything because I just couldn't hold it down. It sucked! Missionaries are supposed to be invincible! I also had to pass up soccer. I sat and watched. That's right, you didn't read that wrong, I actually just sat and watched. It was hard but the second I tried to run, that same second, my tummy reminded me it didn't like running. haha.

When we were doing family history work I was able to prove I really am a 1/4 Mexican and lots of people found it interesting to find out I have grown up celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

Oh hey again! You know Sister Blosil? She sings on an EFY cd. Well, she is serving here in New York, not in my area, but in this mission, and I got to meet her this week. Man, she is just the cutest thing ever!

The area we cover is a barrio that is separted into 3 different parts. We cover Dyker Heights and the elders cover Sunset and Coney Island. We live in the Bay Ridge area.

Hermana Casiano, the RS President, is going to let us use her computer to skype home for Mother's Day so expect a quick phone call on Saturday so we can coordinate times for that on Sunday. I'm thinking it'll be about 6ish in NY time but I'll let you know :)

The Journal: I lied. I actually ended up keeping the journal for myself because I wanted one to write notes in during personal study, so scripture study notes. I just bought her a small different one. So thanks for MY new journal. haha

My Tooth: I promise I tried taking a picture of it, actually I tried taking a few pictures of it, but I just can't seem to get a good picture with it. The lighting is funky and you can barely tell. It's not that big of a thing. I'll keep trying to get a good picture but it's muy dificil entonces, lo siento.

We can't be late for a surprise party!

Love you all!!! Take care!! Thanks for the prayers, they are very much appreciated. I'm so blessed to have the support that I do :)

-- Hermana Watts

P.S. -- Read Mosiah 4. I read that chapter often. It's. just. so. good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment